2016 to present: Associate Professor
2011-2016: Assistant Professor
- Development of organic dyes and hole transporting materials for dye sensitized solar cells (DSSC) and perovskite solar cells.
- Electrode materials and novel redox couples for flow battery.
- Electrode materials for oxygen reduction reaction in alkaline and acidic medium (Zn-air and polymer electrolyte membrane fuel cells).
- Development of high energy density supercapacitor materials.
- Development of sensors for biologically important molecules.
Selected Journal Publications
- A new 2,3-dimethoxy-1,4-naphthoquinone redox anolyte for non-aqueous organic static redox battery, PriyaVallayil, KothandaramanRamanujam, SethuramanSankararaman, Electrochimica Acta, Volume 407, 1 March 2022, 139889
- Investigation of alkyl amine substituted quinone derivatives for the redox flow battery applications in acidic medium,Jagadeeswari S, Raja Murugan, Harun Khan, Indrapal Singh Aidhen and Kothandaraman Ramanujam,J. Electrochem. Soc, 10.1149/1945-7111/ac505f
- Electrode and conductive additive compatibility yielding excellent rate capability and long cycle life for sustainable organic aqueous Zn-ion batteries Authors: Chinmaya Mirle, veerababu medabalmi, Kothandaraman Ramanujam, ACS Applied Energy Materials, Accepted
- Interplay of the functional units of a binder in the oxygen reduction process of zinc-air battery, Niveda LK, Raja M and Kothandaraman R, Catalysis Today (2020) Accepted, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2020.09.022
- Drastic improvement in dye-sensitized solar cell efficiency by electrosorption based dye staining of titania semiconductor photoanode, Ganapathy Rao K, Jagadeeswari S, Kothandaraman R, Electrochimica Acta, 349 (2020) 136344, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.electacta.2020.136344
- Functionalized carbazole as cathode for high voltage non-aqueous organic redox flow battery, Chinmaya R Mirle, Raja M, Vasudevarao P, Sankararaman S, and Kothandaraman R, New J. Chemistry, 44 (2020) 14401, DOI: 1039/D0NJ02543G
- New cyclic and acyclic imidazole-based sensitizers for achieving highly efficient photoanodes for dye-sensitized solar cells by potential assisted method, Jagadeeswari S, Indrapal Singh Aidhen and Kothandaraman R, New J. Chemistry, 44 (2020) 10207, DOI: 1039/D0NJ00137F
- Electrochemical Sensors Using Liquid Filled Multiwalled Carbon Nanotubes: Enhanced Sensor Characteristics, and NMR Relaxometry Evidence of Liquid Confinement, Tamilselvi G, Abhishek B, Chandrakumar N and Kothandaraman R, J. Soc. 166 (2019) B1186, https://doi.org/10.1149/2.0831913jes
- A chitosan/poly(ethylene glycol)-ranpoly( propylene glycol) blend as an eco-benign separator and binder for quasi-solid-state supercapacitor applications, M. Raja, S. Balaji S, Janraj Naik, Dhamodharan R and Kothandaraman R, Sustainable Energy and Fuels, 3 (2019) 760, DOI: 1039/C8SE00530C
- Novel catalyst for oxygen reduction reaction in fuel cells, SAC Barton, R. Kothandaraman, V. Nallathambi (U.S. Patent, Year: 2016, # 9,379,388).
- A method of preparing novel catalysts for oxygen/air reduction of fuel cells and metal-air batteries Kothandaraman, R. and Karthikayini M P (Indian Patent, Year: 2019, Patent No. 324235).
- EFFECT OF SEMI-LABILE MULTIDENTATE LIGANDS ON OXYGEN REDUCTION REACTION PERFORMANCE OF NON-PRECIOUS METAL CATALYSTS RAMANUJAM KOTHANDARAMAN | KARTHIKAYINI MP INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS Patent No. IN324235B Completed Filed 2013-09-27 Published 2019-11-08
- SOLVENT FILLED MULTIWALLED CARBON NANOTUBES FOR ENHANCED ELECTROCHEMICAL SENSING APPLICATIONS Ramanujam Kothandaraman | Guruswamy Tamilselvi INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS,IN Patent No. IN201841042599A Completed Filed 2018-11-13 Published 2020-05-15
- MULTILAYER SANDWICH DESIGN OF A REDOX FLOW BATTERY CELL RAMANUJAM Kothandaraman | VARADARAJU U.V INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS Patent No. IN201303713I4 Completed Filed 2013-08-22 Published 2016-06-17
- METHOD FOR IMPROVING VANADIUM REDOX FLOW BATTERY PERFORMANCE BY SUPPRESSING H2 EVOLUTION AND BALANCING REDOX KINETICS USING ORGANIC MOLECULES Kothandaraman Ramanujam | Vasudevarao P INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS ( INDIAN INSTITUTE OF TECHNOLOGY MADRAS) Patent No. IN201641030008A Completed Filed 2016-09-02 Published 2018-03-09
Awards & Recognitions
- Elected as a fellow of the Academy of Sciences, Chennai, 2020.
- Admitted as a fellow of the Royal Society of Chemistry (FRSC), 2020.
- Member of board of studies of Vellore Institute of Technology (VIT) Bhopal Campus.
- Member of board of studies of Bannariamma Institute of Technology (BIT), Sathyamangalam.
- Adjunct faculty at National Center for Catalysis Research, IIT Madras, Chennai.
- Visiting Scientist at Washington University, St. Louis.